A 220 kyr record of Pb isotopes at Dome C Antarctica from analyses of the EPICA ice core - INSU - Institut national des sciences de l'Univers Access content directly
Journal Articles Geophysical Research Letters Year : 2005

A 220 kyr record of Pb isotopes at Dome C Antarctica from analyses of the EPICA ice core

Abstract

Pb isotopic compositions and Pb and Ba concentrations are reported in EPICA Dome C ice core samples dating to 220 kyr BP, indicating that Pb isotopic compositions in Antarctic ice vary with changing climate. 206Pb/207Pb ratios decrease during glacial periods, with the lowest values occurring during colder climatic periods (stages 2, 4 and 6) and the Holocene. Low Pb concentrations (<1 pg/g) were found during the Holocene and the last interglacial (climate stage 5.5) while higher Pb concentrations (>10 pg/g) were found during cold climatic periods. Ba, a proxy for mineral dust, was used to determine that dust usually accounts for ∼70% of Pb in Dome C ice, while the remaining ∼30% was attributed to volcanic emissions. Pb isotopic compositions at Dome C differ from those reported in pre-industrial ice from other Antarctic locations, due to greater proportions of dust Pb at Dome C.

Domains

Glaciology
Fichier principal
Vignette du fichier
2004GL021449.pdf (136.2 Ko) Télécharger le fichier
Origin : Publisher files allowed on an open archive

Dates and versions

insu-00374946 , version 1 (18-02-2021)

Identifiers

Cite

P. Vallelonga, Paolo Gabrielli, K. J. R. Rosman, Carlo Barbante, Claude F. Boutron. A 220 kyr record of Pb isotopes at Dome C Antarctica from analyses of the EPICA ice core. Geophysical Research Letters, 2005, 32 (L01706), 1 à 4 p. ⟨10.1029/2004GL021449⟩. ⟨insu-00374946⟩
67 View
28 Download

Altmetric

Share

Gmail Facebook X LinkedIn More